Ozone irrigation: a natural dental therapy to reduce infection and inflammation
When you hear the word “ozone,” what’s the first thing that comes to mind? Probably the earth’s atmosphere! But did you know that ozone can also be used therapeutically in dental and medical applications? At Living Wellness Dental in Calgary, AB, our biological approach to dentistry makes use of natural, biocompatible options such as ozone therapy to treat oral health problems and optimize wellness.
Benefits of ozone therapy in dentistry
Ozone is a naturally occurring molecule that is composed of three oxygen atoms. It is a powerful oxidant that readily reacts with other molecules, which enables it to sterilize and disinfect the mouth by rupturing the membranes of disease-causing bacteria, viruses, and other pathogens. Because the healthy areas of the mouth have antioxidant enzymes, they are undamaged by ozone, making it a safe and effective treatment for infections (such as the bacterial infection that causes gum disease). In addition to sterilizing areas that it comes into contact with, ozone can also:
- Promote remineralization of tooth enamel and strengthen the teeth.
- Get rid of bacterial waste products.
- Halt the advance of early tooth decay.
- Reduce inflammation and promote healthy blood flow for tissue regeneration.
Treatments that may incorporate ozone therapy
Because it is a minimally invasive and versatile treatment, our dentists may recommend using ozone treatment for teeth in a variety of situations, such as:
- Disinfecting periodontal pockets and other areas of inflammation or infection in the mouth.
- Treating tooth decay and promoting healthy remineralization of the enamel.
- During tooth extractions, root canal therapy, or other procedures to reduce the possibility of infection.
- Treating tooth sensitivity.
- Reducing pain and healing time after dental treatments.
Am I a good candidate?
Ozone therapy is considered safe when used by a trained professional. Because it is an all-natural, non-invasive option, most patients are good candidates for treatment with ozone therapy. However, our dentists will perform a thorough evaluation and discuss your medical history prior its use. There are some scenarios where ozone therapy may not be suitable, such as during pregnancy or where it may not be compatible with certain medical conditions.
Ozone therapy is just one of many treatment options available at Living Wellness Dental. To schedule your appointment at our Calgary, AB office, call (403) 800-0818 today!